During the movement control order, it is advised for Malaysian to stay at home and avoid public gatherings and keep a social distance of at least 1 metre. Along with advices related to personal care including hand washing, not touching face has created concern about exercising in gyms or outdoor exercise.
For all of us, young and old, regular physical activity is important for staying healthy! To build a better immune system, follow all the precaution steps and also try to be physically active while you can. Many of us are working from home, we are mostly engaging with sedentary behaviour-sitting in front of our deskwork or lying on the couch all day long. It is encouraged for us to move around after a period of time. Regular physical activity can help reduce your feelings of stress and anxiety.
Aerobic Activities (Indoor Activities)
- Put some music and walk riskly around the house or up and down the stairs for 10-15 minutes, 2-3 times per day.
- Dance to your favourite music.
- Jump rope *if you have a jump rope but make sure you do not hurt your joint
- Try out online workout video
- Home cardio machines eg: treadmill, elliptical *if available
- Do gardening and lawn work
Follow a strength workout video
(no equipment needed).
Simple muscle strengthening such as
squats or sit-to-stands from a sturdy chair
Push up against a wall, or on the floor.
Lunges or single leg steps-ups on stairs.
Perform yoga -deep breathing and
mindfulness to reduce mental stress.
How much? 10 -15 repetitions to start
(for each major muscle group) Build up to
8-12 reps of challenging effort.
Don’t sit all day long! Get up after 15 minutes and move around.
You will get energized and productive!