Before treatment: What should I know / do ?
- Inform your doctor if you are:
- asthmatic or have any allergies to medication and/or food
- pregnant (iron infusion is not recommended in 1st trimester)
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water
Some patient (1 in 100) may experience light reactions such as flushing, slight chest tightness, sensation of heat, lightheadedness, rashes, itchiness and/or back/joint pain. In most cases these symptoms resolve spontaneously in less than 15 minutes when infusion is paused.
After treatment: Will you experience any side effects?
- 3 in 10 patients experience some mild-moderate side effects after the treatment (usually within 48 hours of infusion and may last up to 5 days)
- Side effects may include flu-like symptoms, fever, muscle aches, joint pain and/or headaches
- If you experience any of these symptoms please hydrate well and rest
- Over the counter paracetamol and/or ibuprofen can help relieve your symptoms.
You wont need to continue taking your oral iron supplements immediately after THE INFUSION unless otherwise advised by doctor.